Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sometimes Trials Are The Best Things For Us.....

So, my heart is full, and I'm on an emotional rollercoaster as of the last couple of days. As you know, Skylar has been working on the Oil Rigs in Pine Dale Wyoming, and sometimes Texas and somethimes Colorado. He has been wanting to get into more than just working on the rig doing the dirty work. We have some friends, the Murdochs, and we love their family and look up to them. Dave, the dad, has been working on oil rigs for quite a few years. That means that he has been away from home for most of the years. By working away from home all the time, he has worked his way up the ladder and is now what they call a Company Man. I'm not totally sure what the job description is, but that is besides the point. He will now be at work for 2 weeks, then be home for 2 weeks. Not a bad schedule, and he gets to be home a whole lot more than he was before. So..... Skylar has been interested in getting to where Dave is, and we went and talked to Dave a couple of weeks ago about the whole job ladder, and all the details. He gave Skylar a number to call, and of course, he called. The company said that since he already had experience in the field, they'd like to interview him for a possible job position. So Monday, we took off at 5:30 AM and headed to Casper Wyoming for the interview. It was a long and boring drive, but it was quality time together. On the way there, a few times I would be thinking about the future, and I would ask Sky if he was nervous. His reply was, "No, I actually feel really good about this, I think I'll get it." We have been praying for the Lord to let us know if it was a good decision or not, and to please let us know which direction to go. Neither one of us had a bad feeling about, so we pursued. We arrived, and Sky went in to the interview and I sat in the lobby and waited. Finally the guy that was interviewing him came and got me,and told me I was welcome to come join them while we filled out paper work! Ummmm.......WAIT..!! Paper work?? My mind was in jumbles! It was so fast that I didn't have much time to react. I just kept thinking it was a good thing that he got the job and it will all be ok. So we filled out the paper work, had a tour of the shop, got new jackets for FREE (which was a plus!!), and said our thank you's and headed on our way. Ok.. so all within about and hour and a half, our lives changed completely. And hopefully for the better. We then decided that since the Teton Pass and the Hoe Back wouldn't be the best roads, we would take a detour down thru Rock Springs and head over the Layton, Utah and stay with his aunt for the night. We also stopped in Green River to say hi to my aunt and uncle that moved there and I haven't seen them in a few months. And it was nice to get out of the car and relax for a while. BUT... the drive from Casper to Green River was extremely emotional. It had finally hit me what was really happening. Skylar got a new job and will be away from home alot more than what he is at the moment. I wasn't sure how I felt about it, so we talked, and talked, and talked, and talked some more. and I cried and cried and cried and cried alot more. And the whole time I just kept having this feeling that everything would be ok. Skylar started questioning it because he was seeing me in so many tears, and felt bad. But we had a really great conversation, and we came to the conclusion that it was in the Lords hands and this was part of the plan. We now look at it as one of our trials we have to go thru. And yes, there are some benefits within this trial, but it is going to be hard. Skylar is finishing his last week this week with his job he is quitting, then he leaves Monday for North Dakota, and he will be there clear till just before Christmas!!! It seems like forever. And it is going to take all I have to make it thru. His schedules now will consist of him being gone anywhere from 20-45 days at a time, and being home anywhere from 5-10 days. This is going to be a huge change, and definatly a rough trial.
Even though this trial is going to be extremely hard, I am thankful that the Lord has given it to us. We are putting all our faith in Him, and relying on Him to help us through. I have been through trials before, some small, and others a little bigger, and I have seen His hand work in many. It was just a few years ago that I really understood what it meant to put all your trust in the Lord. I am sooo thankful that I have the gospel in my life and that I can rely on it day in and day out. I often think of the Army Wifes, and how they get through their days without seeing and sometimes not even talking to their husbands for longer periods of time than what I have to deal with. You guys are an inspiration, and I look up to you. It takes great strength to get thru. I am grateful this trial has come to us now, and not when we have a bigger family. I think it would be hard if I had kids that I was raising. I'm thankful that I have school to keep me busy for the most part, and I'm thankful for the family and friends that are around to support us. As we have spilled the news to friends, many of them have offered to let me come and hang out with their families, and for that there is a lot of deep appreciation. I have come the the conclusion that I am going to become crafty, and creative, and find things to keep myself busy. I have a list of crafts I'm going to work on, there are a few school activites I will be involved in, and I'm going to start hitting the gym a few mornings a week to help me stay healthy mentally and physically. I will miss Skylar every single day, but thanks to the new technology I can still talk to him as much as I want.
It will be hard to get thru his shifts, but when he is home, I will be eternally grateful and cherrish each and every day. I look forward to learning the lessons the Lord has in store for us, and really unlocking the mystery of why this trial has been given to us at this time in our life, because everything happens for a reason! I will learn to not take things for granted, and that even the most simple day of being together means the world. Our time together is PRICELESS no matter what life brings.!

No comments:

Post a Comment